Workplace Accident Claims

If you have been injured at work in a workplace accident that was not your fault, you may be entitled to compensation for your injury or loss of earnings.  Speak to one of our personal injury solicitors who can help with your accident claim.

Request a Callback

    Subscribe to our newsletter and updates

    Proving liability in accidents at work

    Your employer has a strict legal duty to provide you with a safe working environment, and proper safety gear and equipment to carry out your work. Your employer is also obliged to provide you and your coworkers with proper training. Your employer must also ensure your workplace follows strict Health and Safety legislation.

    If your employer has breached any of these requirements, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries suffered, loss of earnings and medical expenses. Workplace accidents can occur in any environment, such as building sites, warehouses, factories, yards, shops and office buildings.

    Workplace accidents Ferrys Personal Injury Accident Solicitors Dublin

    What type of workplace accidents can I claim compensation for?

    • Injury due to machinery that was faulty, improperly maintained or inadequately serviced
    • Falls from a heights such as ladders, stairs or scaffolding
    • Expose to dangerous substances or exposure to chemicals without proper protective equipment and gear
    • Loss of hearing due to a loud environment where proper protective gear was not provided
    • Accidents due to manual handling where training was poor
    • Slips, trips and falls on uneven or slippery surfaces where the slippery or wet surfaces are unexpected
    • Back injury at work


    Can my employer fire me for making a workplace accident personal injury claim?

    Your employer can not fire you for making a compensation claim at work, as this would be unfair dismissal.

    If I am injured at work do I get paid?

    Your employer is not required by Irish law to provide occupational sick pay schemes for their staff. This means that if you’ve been injured at work and are unable to work because of your injuries, there’s no Irish legislation obliging your employer to pay your wages while you’re off work.

    There may be provisions in your contract of employment or union agreement giving you entitlements to pay while injured. Also, if you’re unable to work due to a workplace accident, and your employer is not obliged to pay you, you may be entitled to a range of social welfare payments.

    If your employer has contributory negligence for your accident at work, you may be entitled to compensation for injuries, suffering and loss of earnings. For this reason you should consult a solicitor if your employer refuses to pay your wages while you’re out of work recovering from your accident.

    What should I do after I am injured at work in Ireland?

    1. Document the accident
      • Take evidence of the accident and injury including time, date and exact location
      • If you have been injured due to a slip, trip or fall, gather evidence of the object or obstruction that caused your accident by taking photographs
      • Take details of any witnesses who may have viewed the accident. Be sure to take their name, address and contact number where possible
    2. Report the accident
      • Report the accident to your employer to ensure no one else falls victim to the same accident
      • Ensure they document the accident on their side, and take details of whoever you report it to
    3. Seek medical attention
      • Receive medical attention as soon as possible
      • Note the details of where and when you receive medical attention
    4. Contact your personal injury solicitor
      • It is advisable to contact a reputable solicitor firm such as Ferrys Solicitors LLP Personal Injury and Accident Solicitors who are registered members of the Law Society of Ireland. We are also registered members of the Dublin Solicitors Bar Association.

    Can I claim for an injury due to manual handling?

    Yes, you can make a claim for manual handling, or where you have been dealing with heavy objects if no training or training of poor quality was provided.


    Call our Personal Injury Solicitors Now on 1850 700 750